Monday, March 9, 2009

Hurricane Ike - 9/17/2008

I have just got to some power and able to write.  I am fine, the house is fine, Petey is fine.  Everyone in my family made it through it unscarred.  The night of the storm may have been the most nervous I have been.  I hesitate to use the word "scared".  I thought my house would withstand the winds, but I was really nervous something would hit the windows and break them.  Around 4:30AM the winds picked up to an amazing speed, the howling got incredibly loud.  At that point I was ready for windows to blow out or something.  It turns out that a tornado touched down not too far from my house and destroyed some trees in the front of my neighborhood.  No houses were damaged, but many old trees are now uprooted.

At this point I have no power at the house.  Today I cleaned out the fridge of decaying food and cleaned the fridge surface for germs.  The neighborhood streets are full of kids riding bikes, playing games, etc.  Reminded me of myself during the aftermath of Hurricane Alicia.  Nothing to do but go out and play.  A couple of night ago we had a street grill night.  Everyone brought some food and we ate.  It was cool to get to know your neighbors better. Even though in one case, we all wished that knowledge had kept itself hidden.  The next day my parents got power, so I headed there with Petey.  Been there every since.  Not sure how long I will be here.  I am hoping to get power soon at my house so I can go back to that building I have been paying monthly for.  Nothing like sleeping in your own bed.  Petey has loved this visit.  He is getting all kinds of attention and loves the stairs here at my parents house.  Though I do think he misses our house.  Atleast I would like to think so.

No comments: